published April 2006
Thursday, January 31, 2008
published April 2006
Monday, January 28, 2008
Me: Hmmm, God's all over you today!
Firstborn: Yeah, he's coming at me like a spider monkey!
This poor life is only a journey to the happy life to come. We must not be angry with one another on the way, but rather we must march on as a band of brothers and sisters united in meekness, peace and love. I state absolutely and make no exception: do not be angry at all if that is possible. Do no accept any pretext whatever for opening your heart's door to anger. Saint James tells us positively and without reservation," ... a man's anger does not fulfill God's justice." [Jas 1:20] (INT. Part III, Ch. 8; O. III, p. 162)
Sunday, January 27, 2008
- Thai or MEXICAN
- bubble bath or BACK MASSAGE, prefer foot actually....
- boots or SANDALS
- the 90% "pro-life" good chance or the 100% PRO-LIFE LONG SHOT(This is a hard one, but if everyone choose the 100% pro-life candidate, he would no longer be the "long shot!")
- a CRUISE SHIP or a mountain cabin
- ROME or Paris
- Ordinary or EXTRAORDINARY
- ROSARY or Stations
- SURF or hang glide
- Regal Cinemas or NETFLIX
- sweet or salty - BOTH!
- PEN or pencil
- HOW-TO BOOK or fantasy novel
- CROSSWORD or sudoku
- LOSE A LEG, God forbid or lose your sight
- NORTH or South
- a power outage at home or a DEAD CAR BATTERY AT COSTCO
- CLASSIC ROCK or country
- wool or LINEN
- lots of good friends or a FEW GREAT FRIENDS
- soup or SALAD
- Merlot or Chardonnay (MARGARITA??)
- Picasso or DA VINCI
- CHARADES or trivial pursuit
- Evangelical Protestantism or Orthodox Judaism (HOLY SPIRIT, CONVERT THEM BOTH PLEASE?)
- stone age or DARK AGE
- STEVEN SPEILBERG or Ken Burns
Thermopylae or ALAMO, we're doing American History this year
- Big Foot or LOCH NESS MONSTER
- BABIES to hold AND TEENAGERS to mold
TAG, YOU'RE IT! Thanks to Shower of Roses.
Mark 3:20-21 Jesus came with his disciples into the house. Again the crowd gathered, making it impossible for them even to eat. When his relatives heard of this they set out to seize him, for they said, “He is out of his mind.”
Petition: Lord, increase my faith. Mary, help me on this Saturday to grow in faith in all of the circumstances of the day.
1. A Man for Others “Jesus was a man for others. Such a crowd gathered around Jesus and his disciples that they had no time even to eat. Nothing mattered more to Jesus than feeding the souls of his neighbor with the nourishment of his love and his truth, so much so that he neglected to feed himself. This self-sacrificing attitude permeated every moment of his earthly existence, culminating in the complete oblation of his life on the cross at Calvary” (John Bartunek, LC, The Better Part, p. 375). To what extent is my desire to serve those around me, even to the point of sacrifice, the thermometer of my love for them? Have I ever been accused by anyone of “madness” because of my dedication to apostolate?
Conversation with Christ: Thank you, Lord, for the gift of faith. It is a gift more precious than life itself. Help me to see others with the eyes of faith, to pour myself out in loving and serving them, just like you did. Help me to love you with madness as I serve each of my brothers and sisters.
Thursday, January 24, 2008
Wednesday, January 23, 2008
Monday, January 21, 2008
My husband and I were particularily interested with the final scene, a speech on science. As quoted from Wikpedia, "In his speech, he warns against science without wisdom, saying, “… are they going to discover too late that science was trusted too much, so that it has turned into a monster, whose final triumph is man’s own destruction.” The speech is eerily prophetic, as the atomic bomb was exploded only five years after the movie was made.
The rest of the speech refers to the confusion of the world today...."is man's God-given ingenuity running away with his equally God-given humanity?!" He ends, "Put these in balance, make it work in harmony as the Great Designer intended they should!"
Wednesday, January 16, 2008
Sunday, January 13, 2008
Wednesday, January 9, 2008
" If some nonbeliever arrived and observed such an act of adoration perhaps he, too, would ‘fall down and worship God, declaring, God is really in your midst,’"
"The awareness of the greatness of the eucharistic mystery is demonstrated in a special way by the manner in which the body of the Lord is distributed and received," the bishop wrote.
"Like a nursing child in the arms of the one who nourishes him."
In addition to demonstrating true adoration by kneeling, he said, receiving Communion on the tongue also avoids concerns about people receiving the body of Christ with dirty hands or of losing particles of the Eucharist, concerns that make sense if people truly believe in the sacrament.
"Wouldn’t it correspond better to the deepest reality and truth about the consecrated bread if even today the faithful would kneel on the ground to receive it, opening their mouths like the prophet receiving the word of God and allowing themselves to be nourished like a child?"Bishop Schneider asked.
Monday, January 7, 2008
As we started our day, all of us at the round schoolroom table, I was reading from the Saint of the day. I noticed an email come in from a homeschooling board with a mom asking for advice. I read it to myself and, for some reason I can not explain, I read parts of it to the big boys (10 & 12). I hoped that they would not feel a license to act up or imitate the behavior this mom was lamenting but that they'd rise to maturity and offer advice...and they did! They really thought about it and were able to recognize lessons they've learned. That was good enough!
God set it all up.
He was helping me homeschool today! Thank you Lord!