Seneca Speaks To This Homeschooler - Quotes

Seneca, the mid-1st century AD Roman Philosopher said...


Of further interest to the homeschooling mother, he also said:

 “If you wished to be loved, love.” 

 “The bravest sight in the world is to see a great man struggling against adversity.” 

 “True happiness is... to enjoy the present, without anxious dependence upon the future.

Homeschooling is hard.  I know moms struggle.  I do, too, at times.  These quotes give me encouragement.

LOVE - I love my children more than any one else could and our time together is a time to love.  And when we feel unlovable, love...that's what families need to do.  So when the loving is hard, I seek Love, pray for graces and remember my blessings.  I am grateful for my blessings, those I love and the privilege to spend my days with them.

ADVERSITY -  The struggle against adversity and our bravery getting through will model important traits to our children.  I also remind myself that the Cross leads to redemption and this may be the way God chooses to sanctify me. So if my children see me committed to doing hard things, things that I believe are worthy of my efforts, they will surmise that they, too, can struggle and face adversity in a noble pursuit. That's what I hope, at least.

WORRY - There's plenty of what-ifs and doubts in homeschooling.  They can rob me of my peace, if I let them.  I will choose happiness and try to live in the moment.  As I always tell my children,  "You can be happy or sad, happy feels better."

LEARNING -  My children are learning and I am, too.  Learning so much about myself...taking it day by day.

Today I learned more about Seneca...what will tomorrow bring?

No comments:

© 2011 Bushel & A Peck Designs. Powered by Blogger.